Castroreale is the “faithful”, as Frederick II of Aragon called it, is a medieval village located in the north-western Peloritani Site, near Messina.
Castroreale is believed to have been founded by Artenomo, a Middle Eastern king who established a city named after his daughter Artemisia. Castoreum, husband of Artemisia, built Krastos. This new settlement was later renamed in Crastina or Crizzina and survived until the beginning of the 14th century. It played a significant role in the Sicilian Vespers. Frederick II of Aragon awarded the diploma of 1324 to the Vespers for their loyalty in the fight against the Angevin.
The real story of the town begins at this point: Castro, then Castroreale was the first name given to the town.