You’ve likely seen the horrific images and videos of the magnitude6.2 earthquake that hit central Italy on August 24, 2016. Although tremors were felt in Rome (which is hundreds of miles away from the epicenter), the real damage was done in a few villages in Umbria, Le Marche and Lazio.
“Half the town is gone” #ItalyEarthquake https://t.co/QwUiH7mtz1 pic.twitter.com/x34bv4QMHH
Al Jazeera News (@AJENews August 24, 2016,
ITALIA ???? posted a photo. (@ig_italia)
August 23, 2016, 11:34 PM PDT
As I look at the Japanese high-tech buildings that can withstand earthquakes greater than those that struck Italy a few days back, a part in me feels frustrated. It’s hard to believe that Italy hasn’t taken the same level of earthquake protection measures since it is a country that is also highly seismic. This is Italy so the answers are… Complex.
Most of me is currently helpless and thousands of miles away from my family, wondering what I can accomplish.
It is likely that many of you feel the same way, so I will be collecting information in this article about how to help victims of the Amatrice earthquake. It will be updated as often as possible. Please let me know if you have any information that I don’t include in the comments section.
Pictures of the #ItalyEarthquake . Death toll is now 247. via @reuters: https://t.co/Xt2635QtRe pic.twitter.com/dN5jFifRgB
Jim Roberts (@nycjim August 25, 2016,
Rescuers hunt for 150 buried under rubble after #ItalyEarthquake https://t.co/2eOtOV8ZUO pic.twitter.com/LldmaVhxO0
Daily Mail Online (@MailOnline), August 24, 2016,
If you remember the L’Aquila earthquake in 2009, then you’ll be able to recall that relief can take many years. L’Aquila continues rebuilding some areas . Please stay tuned to Amatrice.
If the name Amatrice sounds familiar, it could be because you are familiar with the famous pasta dish Pasta Amatriciana. The 50th Annual Festival Celebrating the dish was being held in the town. Already, there are many Italian restaurants that use the culinary connection to raise funds. Find one near you and, if not, suggest one to your favorite Italian restaurant.
Amatrice Earthquake Relief in Italy
- Donate blood at one of the centers in and around Rome or visit the nearest hospital or AVIS facility (the Italian organization that handles blood donations).
- Donate to the Italian Red Cross.
- The Florentine listed many wonderful options available to people in Italy, especially Florence, who wish to help. These include visiting museums and wineries that have pledged to pay entrance fees for earthquake relief efforts.
- It has been requested by the Italian Red Cross that people unlock their homes wifi networks and remove passwords. This will make it easier for rescuers on the ground to communicate.
Amatrice Earthquake Relief from Outside Italy
- Donate to the International Organization of Red Cross/Red Crescent Groups, which has established a Special Fund just for this earthquake.
- Global Giving is a collection of donations from all over the world that are sent to local organizations working in the affected areas.
- A relief fund has been established by La Stampa, an Italian newspaper. Anyone can donate to it.
- Save the Children has partnered with a local organization to ensure that Amatrice’s children are safe. Donate to support their efforts.
- The International Organization for Animal Protection is a rescue organization that helps animals in disaster-prone areas. They are currently in Italy. You can contribute to their efforts.
- Italian American Relief has created a special fund for the earthquake. You can make a donation here .
Additional News and Updates about the Amatrice Earthquake
Rescuers Say “Worse than L’Aquila”
L’Aquila Giving back
1,500 Homeless in Le Marche
Agrigurismi Offers to Host Displaced
Looter Suspected Detained in Amatrice
239 Cultural Assets Broken
Amatrice Medieval Churches Damaged
Towns to Rebuild as They Were
- “Anti-seismic building is key”: Norcia suffered less after the earthquake rebuilding.
“I had said goodbye”: nun speaks out about the Italian earthquake ordeal
A man digs out his children from the rubble
Earthquake causes displacement of 2,100 people
Italy earthquake: Investigations launched as nation mourns
African migrants travel to the Italian earthquake zone to assist survivors
2 Responses to “Central Italy Earthquake – How to Help From Within & Outside Italy”
Karen, thank you for that.
A tragedy… here’s another relief fund: http://italianamericanrelief.org – this is of the NIAF and they plan to earmark a specific project to help rebuild.